This chicken tortilla soup is easy to make, flavorful, and filling because it contains shredded chicken, black beans, and corn. Green onion, Monterey Jack cheese, crushed tortilla chips, and fresh avocado are used as garnishes. It freezes well, this soup.
Go no further if you’re seeking a robust, satisfying soup to sate your appetite for Mexican food. This chicken tortilla soup is the ideal comfort food since it has heavy ingredients that will keep you full and content and a spicy Mexican flair.
All bowlfuls will devour this soup, so be ready to produce the delicious dish repeatedly.
Is Chicken Tortilla Soup Authentic Mexican Food?
Indeed, chicken tortilla soup is a traditional Mexican dish. The classic soup has fried tortilla strips, chicken broth, tomatoes, garlic, onion, and chiles. The soup can also be made in several ways, such as with beans.
How to Make Chicken Tortilla Soup
It just takes 35 minutes to prepare this Chicken Tortilla Soup, and it’s quite easy. What to anticipate is listed below, along with the complete recipe:
Add the tomatoes, chili powder, oregano, broth, and water after sautéing the onions and garlic. Add corn, hominy, chiles, beans, cilantro, and chicken after allowing to simmer. Add your preferred garnishes before serving after simmering for a few more minutes.
What to Serve With Chicken Tortilla Soup
You can have chicken tortilla soup alone or with avocado, cheese, green onions, and sour cream on top. For the ideal supper, serve it with a salad and some crusty bread.
How to Store Chicken Tortilla Soup
After completely cooling, place the chicken tortilla soup in airtight containers, and keep them in the refrigerator for up to four days. Then, use the microwave or the stove to reheat.
Can You Freeze Chicken Tortilla Soup?
Yes! Making chicken tortilla soup in advance and storing it in the freezer for fast evening meals works well.
Chicken tortilla soup should be poured into zip-top freezer bags or sealed freezer containers after it has cooled. Be cautious about freezing zip-top bags flat if using them.
Chicken tortilla soup can be stored in the freezer for up to three months. Then, in the refrigerator, defrost overnight.
- Olive oil, 1 tbsp
- 1 chopped medium onion
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 28 ounces of crushed tomatoes in one can
- Condensed chicken broth in a single (10.5 ounce) can
- 3/4 cup of water
- Chili powder, two tablespoons
- Oregano, dry, 1 teaspoon
- 1 (15 ounces) can be rinsed and drained black beans
- Cooked and chopped into bite-sized pieces, two large boneless chicken breast halves.
- 1 cup cooked entire corn kernels
- White hominy, 1 cup
- 1 (4-ounce) can of finely chopped green chiles
- 14 cups freshly chopped cilantro
- 12 cups of tortilla chips, crushed or to taste
- Sliced or to taste, two medium avocados
- or to taste, 12 cups of shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
- Green onions, cut into two teaspoons or to taste.
- Assemble all the components.
- In a stockpot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes or until tender. Add oregano and chili powder and stir.
- Condensed broth, water, and tomato paste have been stirred in. Bring to a boil. For five to ten minutes, lower the heat and simmer.
- Add the cilantro, black beans, corn, hominy, chile peppers, and cooked chicken after stirring. Cook for ten minutes.
- Pour the soup into individual serving dishes and garnish with Monterey Jack cheese, green onions, avocado slices, and crushed tortilla chips.
Learn more: How to Make Bubble Tea at Home